How to snake a toilet with a hanger isn’t difficult, but it’s a short term solution to get by without any tools.
If you’ve got 1 bathroom and need to get your poop down the shoot, try this method. Then buy yourself a toilet auger for future issues.
How to Snake a Toilet with a Hanger
How to snake a clogged toilet with a hanger is an el cheapo special. Only works with crazy simple and shallow clogs. Be warned: this methods is super short term solution. You WILL need to get a toilet auger to fully clear your clog. Otherwise, your clog will come back and with a vengeance.
The chances of this working are pretty slim: the hanger is stiff and short and might not be able to make it to the P trap (if that’s where your clog is hiding and it probably is). We consider this a short term solution.
Cons with this method is that it could get unbelievably stuck inside your pipes and also cause damage to your pipes! We don’t recommend this method to clear a clogged toilet unless you’re desperate. DIY Beware!
DON’T forget to wrap your hanger in a rag and secure it with duct tape or you WILL scratch your toilet bowl.
Supplies Needed to Snake a Toilet with a Hanger
- Wire hanger
- Work Clothes
- Diluted bleach or disinfectant
9 Steps to Fixing a Clogged Toilet with a Hanger
- Unwind the hanger at the top where the two pieces are tightly wound together to make a decently long piece of wire
- Don’t straighten the hooked part of your hanger
- Wrap a rag around the hooked part of the hanger to keep it from scratching your porcelain toilet bowl.The only way to fix that is to buy and install a new toilet
- Secure the rag with duct tape
- Insert the wrapped up part of your hanger into your toilet pipe
- Keep pushing it into the pipe until you feel it stop. That’s probably your clog
- Move and twist the hanger around inside your toilet pipe to dislodge the clog
- You know you’ve gotten the clog out when the water starts to drain out of your toilet bowl
- Flush your toilet a few times to make sure you’ve gotten the clog
Congratulations you’ve unclogged your toilet for the time being. Now get yourself a proper plunger and a toilet auger. There WILL be a next time….
How to snake a toilet with a hanger is not a long term solution to the gunk that is gathering in your toilet pipes. You can unclog your toilet in the short term, but the gunk will come back. Take some time and buy yourself a toilet auger to properly rid your toilet of clogs for good.