Can you unclog a drain with vinegar?
If you have ever wondered about this, you are not alone. Below, we review if vinegar works to unclog your drains or if you should use something else.
Read on to find out!
I get commissions from links in this post.
Unclog Drain with Vinegar: How-to
If you have a clogged drain, you’re probably desperate to get it unclogged as fast as possible. Get back to using your sink with the step-by-step instructions. And remember: the best way to remove clogs is to use a drain auger. In a pinch, follow the steps below.
- Gather your vinegar, a bowl, and fill a pot with water on the stove
- Boil a small pot of water, so you have at least 2-3 cups of water
- Carefully pour ½ of you boiled water down your drain
- Mix 1 cup of vinegar and 1 cup of water
- Pour down your drain
- Wait 5 minutes or so
- Pour the rest of your boiling water down your drain
- Enjoy, your drain should now be unclogged!
Unclog a Drain with Vinegar: Fake News?
Yes. The vinegar isn’t really unclogging your drain at all. It’s the boiling water. Boiling water dissolves the gunk and grease that is holding the clog together. The clog slides down the drain once the boiling hot water dissolves the gunk.
Don’t waste your vinegar. Instead, install a debris catcher in the sink drain to capture any chunks before they go down the drain and dispose of all greasy items in the trash.
You can unclog a drain with vinegar, but really, it’s the boiling hot water that is doing all the work. Save your vinegar and just pour boiling water down your drains to clear out clogs fast.